Letters to the Editor
Letters to the Editor are a powerful tool for voicing our opinions. Read all the kindness letters that have appeared in the Eugene Register-Guard this year.
Write letters to the Eugene Register-Guard
Spreading Kindness Campaign encourages everyone to send a letter to the editor of the Eugene Register-Guard on a topic related to kindness. Choose a topic from today’s news or write about a personal experience you’ve had with kindness.
Tips for writing a great Letter to the Editor:
1. Focus on making it local– Write something your neighbors will identify with
2. Make it relevant– Tie your letter to current events or recent articles
3. Keep it concise– 200 words or less!
4. Add personality– Share personal stories and anecdotes
5. Email it– Check the newspaper’s opinion page to find the email address
6. Identify yourself– Include your name, address, email and phone number in case the editor needs to contact you (this information won’t be published)
7. Identify your note as a Letter to the Editor– Address your letter “To the Editor”
8. Follow up with Spreading Kindness Staff– Send a note to email@example.com if your Letter to the Editor gets published so we can spread the word!
9. Don’t get discouraged if your letter isn’t published– Not all the Letters to the Editor that you write will appear in the paper, but every Letter to the Editor can have an influence on the columns and opinions that the editorial board writes and on the other Letters they choose to print.
To Contribute a Letter:
The Register-Guard welcomes letters on topics of general interest. Our length limit is 200 words; all letters are subject to condensation. Writers are limited to one letter per calendar month. Because of the volume of mail, not all letters can be printed. Letters must be signed with the writer’s full name. An address and daytime telephone number are needed for verification purposes; this information will not be published or released.
Mail letters to:
3500 Chad Drive
Eugene, OR 97408
Letter to the Editor archives:
January 2019: Only through kindness can we heal crisis of loneliness
December 2018: Kindness in Schools Should be Spread Throughout Eugene
November 2018: Schools Focus on Rewarding Kindness to Reduce Violence
September 2018: Kindness Best Habit for Long Happy Life
August 2018: More Kindness Would Make Eugene Better Place